APH SMART Brailler by Perkins
NEW! Software update now includes Unified English Braille (UEB)! ***For details, click the "Additional product information" link below.***
The SMART Brailler is a mechanical brailler with a built-in screen and speaker to provide immediate visual and audio feedback
The APH SMART Brailler by Perkins provides immediate feedback to a child or adult who is learning braille. Feedback is available via text-to-speech and a screen that displays SimBraille & large print of what is brailled in uncontracted or contracted braille. This audio and visual feedback also provides access to someone who does not know braille, including parents, peers, and general education teachers.
- 4-inch color screen displays SimBraille and large print
- Speaker provides text-to-speech feedback
- Translation of English braille, uncontracted and contracted
- Headphone jack
- Volume control
- USB port to save and transfer electronic documents via USB flash drive
- Exercises to supplement APH's Building on Patterns (BOP): Kindergarten curriculum
- Rechargeable battery
The base unit of the APH SMART Brailler by Perkins is the Perkins/APH Brailler, which was designed to be quieter, lighter, and more comfortable. Accommodates 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper and embosses up to 25 lines of 28 cells.
Please review this statement about quality improvements to the SMART Brailler: http://www.aph.org/smart-brailler-design-improvements/
Downloadable Manual: This manual is available as an accessible, free-of-charge download -- print it as needed using the downloaded file. Visit our downloadable manuals page at: http://www.aph.org/manuals/index.html
ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGE
All shipments will incur actual UPS shipping rates based on the destination. Free Matter shipping not available for this item.
Note: Young children should be supervised during exploration and pre-braille activities.
- Age Range:
- 3 and Up
Only the APH version of the SMART Brailler comes with Building on Patterns: Kindergarten supplementary exercises.
The SMART Brailler was developed by Perkins Products and Product Development Technologies (PDT) in partnership with the American Printing House for the Blind. Acapela Text to Speech and voices used in the brailler are provided by Acapela Group, and contracted braille translation is provided by Duxbury Systems.
SMART Braillers Now Include Major Software and Design Updates!
As of September 5, 2017, APH began shipping SMART Braillers with the following:
- Unified English Braille (UEB) now available in the Language Settings
- Increased strength and durability of plastic exterior
- Easier paper loading and decreased paper jamming
Directions to Change the Braille Code Used for Translation to UEB for SMART Braillers with the latest software installed:
- Turn power switch on the right side of the machine to the ON position.
- Wait approximately 35 seconds until the “Welcome” menu shows on the screen.
- Go to the “Main Menu” screen by pressing the menu button twice. (Note: The menu button is the circular green button with a raised dot in the center, located on the right side of the brailler’s screen. Press it once, wait a second for the “braille entry” screen, and then press it again.)
- Scroll down to “Settings” and press the select button (the green diamond-shaped button to the right of the screen)
- Scroll down to “Language” and press the select button.
- Scroll down to “English-U.E.B.” and press the select button.
- The brailler will prompt you to press the select button again and then to reboot.
UEB will be the braille code used for translation when the brailler powers back up.
To Update the Software on SMART Braillers Shipped Prior to September 5, 2017:
Download the instructions and latest free software to update your SMART Brailler. Please note the following:
- The download link above will take you to a www.perkins.org webpage.
- The software update zip folder is large (over 600 MB) and may take several minutes to download.
- You will need a blank USB drive to perform the update.