Azer's Interactive Periodic Table Study Set
This interactive study set is designed to make learning about the periodic table of the elements accessible to students with visual impairments and blindness.
The tangible materials included with this study set complement APH’s Periodic Table of the Elements Reference Chart and allow students to enhance their understanding of concepts consistent with the National Science Standards.
Inspired by Samir Azer, a science teacher at the Kentucky School for the Blind, this set can assist in the instruction and demonstration of concepts related to the arrangement of the periodic table, atomic structure, ionic and covalent bonding, and balancing of chemical equations to students who benefit from a hands-on, interactive model. Special attention was given to make the materials tactually discriminable and visually appealing to the target population, yet appropriate for all students regardless of visual acuity.
Video: Watch a student-made video showing an example of how the extensive Azer's set can be used to make atoms understandable.
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD — Small Parts. Not intended for children ages 5 and under without adult supervision.
- Age Range:
- 10 and Up
- 294 interactive hexagonal element pieces
- Additional interactive accessories including coefficient, oxidation, and subscript numbers, arrows, plus signs, parentheses, and assessment pieces
- 2 atomic models with accessories
- Storage binder with acessories
- Tri-fold Ve board (37 x 24 inches), used to balance chemical equations and/or display the entire periodic table
- Large Print Guidebook (with CD containing html, brf, txt, and dtb versions and a Word® file of the Skills Checklist). Braille Guidebook can be purchased separately
Note: Some assembly required—the customer affixes a single hook material dot to the back of each element piece and accessory before using with the provided tri-fold board.