Book Port Plus
Read Digital Talking Books, play digital audio, play internet radio, download podcasts, read computer files, and make superb recordings with Book Port Plus™!
Free Update Adds Many New Features to Book Port Plus!
Version 5 of APH's Book Port Plus firmware introduced many new features, including activation of the Wi-Fi chip. The current Version 6 firmware update adds many more features and fixes. The Book Port Plus has the ability to stream internet radio stations, receive podcasts, and transfer files from the PC to the Book Port wirelessly. You can find more information about this update and download the new firmware from this page: http://tech.aph.org/bt_new.htm
Book Port Plus™ represents the latest generation of accessible media player/recorders. Its small size, quality recording, and unique capabilities make it an ideal replacement for cassette player/recorders, earlier Digital Talking Book (DTB) players, or inaccessible commercial digital recorders. Its specialized hardware and software makes Book Port Plus easier to use, more reliable, and more flexible than cell phones or PCs that might perform some of its functions.
The quality components and innovative software make Book Port Plus an excellent music player and outstanding recorder. The reading controls let you read a wide variety of books in both audio (human speech) and text (synthetic speech) formats. Its ability to create Digital Talking Book recordings is unique.
Book Port Plus contains state-of-the-art hardware:
- High-speed USB lets you read NLS DTB cartridges, thumb drives, and USB CD-ROM drives
- High capacity SD™ card support -- up to 32GB
- Stereo microphone jack
- Stereo headphone jack
- Built-in speaker
- Built-in microphone
Video: Watch a user-made video overview of the Book Port Plus.
ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGE
All shipments will incur actual UPS shipping rates based on the destination. Free Matter shipping not available for this item.
What Can I Read on Book Port Plus?
- Digital Talking Books from National Library Service (NLS). These books include both downloaded titles and titles sent in the mail on a cartridge.
- Digital Talking Books from Learning Ally. You may download titles from their website and listen with the Book Port Plus, or you may order titles on CD. Note: An optional USB-powered CD-ROM drive, available from commercial vendors, is required to play the CD directly from the Book Port Plus.
- Digital Talking Books from www.bookshare.org
- Text-based books from various sites on the internet, for example: www.gutenburg.org
- Books you scan using optical character recognition software
Note: The unit must be authorized through Learning Ally or NLS to play recordings from these organizations. You also need to have an account to use www.bookshare.org
Buillt-in Wi-Fi lets you play internet radio or download podcasts!
Book Port Plus' recording capabilities are unmatched and perform better than many dedicated digital recorders.
- Book Port Plus™ unit
- SD card (already inserted into unit)
- Rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- AC adapter with braille label
- Ear buds
- Short USB host cable
- Longer USB client cable
- FREE! Audio edition of History in the Making: The Story of the American Printing House for the Blind
- CD-ROM containing software, books, and documentation
- Quick Start Guide
- One-year limited warranty
Book Port Plus dimensions are: 4.4 x 2.2 x 0.6 inches and weighs 3.9 ounces. The included cables let you either connect the unit to a PC to transfer files, or connect to an NLS Digital Talking Book cartridge. You can also download books from the NLS BARD website, see nlsbard.loc.gov.