The Joy Player is a personal electronic device that allows individuals with visual and multiple impairments to access music and audio books. It is designed to use with the personal music player routine in APH’s Sensory Learning Kit (SLK). The Joy Player differs from other music playing devices on the commercial market and from the National Library Service’s Digital Talking Book Player because it is designed to accommodate individuals who are developing fine motor skills, have limited mobility, or cognitive disability in addition to a visual impairment.
The Joy Player plays audio from three different types of portable electronic storage devices: SD card, USB flash drive, and Digital Talking Book (DTB) Cartridge. The player comes with two blank DTB Cartridges. Simply copy any WAV or MP3 file to an SD card, USB flash drive, or DTB Cartridge.
- Hook and Loop Strap, 65 inches
- Bag of black caps and black rings
- USB Cable
- DTB Cartridges (2)
- Braille note on downloadable instructions
- Instruction Book, Large Print
Note: The Joy Player does not play pre-recorded books on DTB Cartridges from the National Library Service (NLS) because NLS uses 3GS files, not WAV or MP3 files.
The chute is designed to help students with limited mobility skills guide the cartridge into the player. The product has twist-on caps (with accompanying rings) to temporarily reduce the number of button switches on the device; this reduces visual and cognitive complexity.
Modes of Operation
The product features multiple modes of operation to accommodate a diverse range of cognitive and physical abilities and environmental settings. The player operates with AC (plugs into the wall outlet) and DC (batteries).
The Joy Player features five button switches that operate—from left to right—the following tasks:
- decrease volume
- back to the previous song (reverse)
- advance to the next song (fast-forward)
- increase volume
Direct switch use. The back of The Joy Player has jacks to accept external switches. As many as five switches can be added—one each to provide the function of each button switch. External switches operate whether the player is using AC or DC.
The Joy Player operates with the SLK Power Select when the main power switch on the back of the player is set in the SLK mode position. In the SLK mode, and when using a sip and puff switch, the student may play and pause the audio; he will not be able to control song choice or volume.
The Joy Player comes with six, rechargeable, AA metal hydride batteries.
Measures: 13 1/2 x 6 1/2 x 2 inches, includes belt-loop feet and cartridge chute.
Downloadable Manual: The guidebook for this product is available as a free-of-charge download -- you may print or emboss it as needed using the downloaded file. Visit our downloadable manuals page at: http://www.aph.org/manuals/index.html
Note: Click Additional Information for troubleshooting tips about the Joy Player.
ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGE: All shipments will incur actual UPS shipping rates based on the destination.
- Age Range:
- 3 and Up
Songs will not play or no power The problems/solutions below have been reported by APH Customer Service.
- Songs/Files must be MP3 or WAV files. MP4 or 3GS (NLS) will not work in The Joy Player. Songs/Files may be converted to MP3 or WAV.
- Make sure the volume is up. When the Volume Down button switch is pressed to the limit, the player is completely silent.
- If using a flash drive or SD card, note that the cartridge overrides a flash drive or an SD card so make sure any cartridge inserted into the loading chute is not blank.
- When selecting a group of music files to place on a cartridge, make sure you do not accidentally select a file (in a group) that is not a WAV or MP3 file. For example, if a photo file is the third file in a group loaded onto a cartridge, the device will play the first two songs and then stop because it does not recognize the third/alien file. Connect the cartridge back to your computer and remove the alien file.
- If you experience problems with a cartridge, connect the cartridge to your computer using the USD cable and reformat the cartridge and reload your music: a.) PC—Go to My PC and right click on the cartridge icon and select “Format.” The default should be FAT32. If is not FAT32, change and click “Start.” If it is already FAT32 (default) just click “Start.” This will wipe the cartridge clean. You are now ready to reload music to the cartridge. b.) Mac—Launch Disk Utility, located in Applications > Utilities. Locate the drive name from the left hand side of Disk Utility and click on it. Mac default is FAT32. Click on the “Erase” tab across the top.
- Do not remove the batteries that come in The Joy Player. They are rechargeable by plugging the device into an AC outlet. If The Joy Player does not work after exhausting the previously mentioned ideas, return it to APH*. APH has received returned Joy Players in which the batteries had been replaced with alkaline batteries, which were dead. Alkaline batteries will work in The Joy Player but they are not rechargeable. The batteries that come in the Joy Player are metal hydride. If you received The Joy Player from a source other than APH, perhaps a resource center or another teacher, check to see if the correct batteries are in the device. The Joy Player ships with batteries that are white with the APH logo on them. APH does not replace batteries.
*If you need to send your Joy Player back to APH for service, it is very important that you send everything back: The Joy Player, cartridges, and USB cable. APH is unable to assess a problem without all components. The problem could be in any one of the components. Include a note with contact information and an explanation of the problem.
Note: If the unit is not under warranty, APH charges a $50.00 handling/evaluation fee. APH requires the payment of the $50.00 fee before the unit is examined. If the actual repair exceeds the $50.00 evaluation fee, APH will contact the customer for approval before proceeding with repairs. Send to: American Printing House for the Blind Attn: Repair Department 1839 Frankfort Avenue Louisville KY 40206