Setting the Stage for Tactile Understanding Kit: Making Tactile Pictures Make Sense
This set of materials serves as a tool for encouraging and informally assessing the development of early tactile literacy in young children.
Setting the Stage is a set of tangible items and activities that assists young tactile readers in making the transition from the exploration of real objects to the interpretation of two-dimensional representations, both in thermoformed formats and simple raised-line illustrations. A 3-dimensional house model aids with advanced understanding of scale and perspective.
- Large Print Guidebook (Braille version available separately)
- 12 real objects
- 12 thermoformed cards depicting real objects
- 12 raised-line cards depicting the real objects
- 12 black-line masters of the real objects
- 1 activity sorting tray with loop material backing
- 3 black tray divider cards
- 3-D house model
- 20 tactile correct/incorrect house matching cards
- 1 package of Crayola® Model Magic
- 1 package of Wikki-Stix®
- Carrying case
Objects are matched with thermoformed cards and raised-line outlines in sequenced activities that encourage early tactile literacy.
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD — Small parts. Not intended for children ages 5 and under without adult supervision.
- Age Range:
- 5 and Up