Tactile Town: 3-D O&M Kit
Tactile Town provides an interactive, three-dimensional model to help teach spatial concepts and environmental layouts.
This kit assists in the development of cognitive mapping skills by helping students who are visually impaired and blind perceive and organize their physical environment specific to concepts such as street layouts, intersections, route patterns, city block arrangements, etc. It encourages active participation and interaction with displayed map layouts so that concepts and skills, not conveniently accessed through real-life exploration, can be learned and practiced.
Tactile Town is designed to be inviting to both tactile and visual learners, with attractive pieces incorporating contrasting colors, textures, and recognizable features. By providing a wide variety of components that can be easily customized or extended, Tactile Town is an ideal starter kit for instruction and reinforcement of mapping skills and concepts.
The included large print Teacher's Guidebook (braille version available separately) provides 17 suggested layout activities that are presented in a progressive manner, from basic compass directions to a complex city block. Each activity has full-color photos and labeled sections. Other guidebook features include interactive games and a Concepts/Skills Checklist that can be completed for an individual student using the MS Word(R) file on the accompanying CD-ROM. Accessible versions (html, brf, txt, and dtb) of the guidebook are also on the CD-ROM.
Field Tester Comments:
“Tactile Town provided the ability to customize the layout for the individual student's needs, rather than a static/permanent mold of an intersection.” -- Christopher Tabb, Orientation and Mobility Specialist, Connecticut
“Tactile Town offers so many different settings and scenarios. Using this kit has broadened their [the students'] awareness and skills of traffic patterns in relation to real intersections they are crossing.” -- Amy Downard, Teacher of the Visually Impaired/Orientation and Mobility Specialist, Hawaii
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD -- Small Parts. Not intended for children ages 5 and under without adult supervision.
- Age Range:
- 5 and Up
- Copyright Year:
Tactile Town includes:
20 Buildings (Bag A):
• 4 Large Houses (all red, ea. with a different roof type – smooth, bumpy, tin, and shingled)
• 8 Small Houses (blue, white, red, and yellow; ea. color has two different roof types – smooth and bumpy)
• 4 Curved-Topped Buildings (all yellow with two different roof types – smooth and bumpy)
• 4 Flat-Topped Buildings (all blue with two different roof types – smooth and bumpy)
Note: Strips of black hook material dots are provided for customer-application to the buildings.
Street Scenery Pieces (Bag B):
• 1 Pond
• 2 Railroad Tracks
• 4 Long Crosswalks (with vertical lines)
• 4 Long Crosswalks (with horizontal lines)
• 12 Short Crosswalks (with vertical lines)
• 12 Short Crosswalks (with horizontal lines)
• 8 Yellow Dividing Lines/Medians
• 10 Long Sidewalks
• 8 Short Sidewalks
• 5 Splitter Islands
• 66 White Road Dashes
• 4 Arrows – 2 Left, 2 Right Turns
Note: Strips of black hook material dots are provided for customer-application to the pond and railroad tracks. All other parts in Bag B have full coverage of black, hook/loop material.
3-D Components (Bag C):
• 6 Stop Signs
• 4 Yield Signs
• 2 Yellow Pedestrians (smooth texture)
• 2 Blue Pedestrians (bumpy texture)
• 4 Orange Cars (smooth texture)
• 4 Yellow Cars (bumpy texture)
• 4 Pedestal Traffic Lights
• 8 Flat Traffic Signals
Note: Strips of black hook material dots are provided for customer-application to the 3-D Components. The Flat Traffic Signals have full coverage of black, hook material.
41 Sewn Grassy Pieces (Bag D):
• 1 Cul-de-sac
• 1 Large Circle
• 1 Small Circle
• 2 Long Narrow Strips
• 2 Short Narrow Strips
• 4 Roundabout Corners
• 4 Wedges (2 pairs of mirrored opposites)
• 2 Triangles
• 8 Rectangles with rounded corners
• 8 Rectangles with square corners
• 8 Squares
Note: Strips of black hook material dots are provided for customer-application to the Grassy Pieces.
Print/Braille Labels (Bag E):
• 16 Location Labels
• 8 Street Name Labels
• 16 Direction Labels
• 13 Zoo Labels
• 8 Personal Name Labels
Note: Strips of black hook material dots are provided for customer-application to the back of labels.
Kit also includes:
• 1 Package of Braillable Labels and Sheets
• 2 Picture Maker Storage Panels
• 1 Tri-fold Board
• 1 Compartment Tray Insert
• 1 Red Carrying/Storage Box