Tactile Treasures Kit, Tactile-Color Edition
Tactile Treasures consists of 79 thermoformed sheets featuring tactile pictures created from real objects that illustrate math and language concepts. The types of thermoformed objects are numerous: from pretzels, buttons, and rings to zippers, scissors, and shells. The variety of objects depicted adds interest, encourages exploration, and helps broaden vocabulary.
In most cases, a given concept is presented twice on a single tactile page that is divided by a raised bar, but occasionally an entire page is used to adequately convey a concept. An accompanying teacher's guidebook provides two suggested scripts or stories for every concept introduced. The tactile pages are very versatile and can be used to introduce related concepts other than those presented in the provided scripts.
Tactile Treasures can also be easily adapted for a child with low vision by outlining the thermoformed objects with a permanent marker.
- Age Range:
- 3 and Up
- Three individual binders housing a total of 79 white thermoformed sheets measuring 8 1/2 x 11 inches. Both braille and incised print page numbers appear on each sheet for ease of reference. The tactile graphics contents of each binder are as follows:
- Binder I: Shape and Size Concepts (pgs. 1–30)
- Binder II: Comparing and Amount Concepts (pgs. 31–55)
- Binder III: Position and Pre-Reading Concepts (pgs. 56–79)
- Teacher's guidebook (both print and braille versions provided) with two scripts/stories for each concept presented. The guidebook also gives a general overview of the materials, instructions for use, and extended activities.