JAWS and MAGic Student Edition
What Is JAWS?
JAWS (Job Access With Speech) is the world's most popular screen reader software providing access to Windows® computers. JAWS offers both speech AND braille output for the most popular computer applications on your PC!
What is MAGic?
MAGic Screen Magnification Software is a magnification AND screen reading program for computer users who are low vision. MAGic can help students work more efficiently with business applications, documents, email, and navigating the internet.
What Is Included in the Student Edition of JAWS and MAGic?
- JAWS and MAGic software, containing all the features and benefits of the full programs (one subscription purchase gives the student access to both programs)
- Access to latest versions with all updates
- Ability to install on any computers the student accesses at school or home (up to three machines)
- Tandem function available for remote help by teachers or support staff
- Access to Freedom Scientific phone support, training materials, and webinars
- Ability to install on Windows® 7, 8.1, and 10, including Pro versions
For more information on installation and support please see http://tech.aph.org/jfw/
General Purchasing Information
- JAWS and MAGic Student Edition is distributed only through the American Printing House for the Blind in the United States and Canada
- Federal Quota funds can be used in the U.S. to purchase from APH for eligible students in K-12
- Software can be purchased for students by individuals using non-Quota funds (credit card or check)
JAWS and MAGic Student Edition, One-Year Subscription: D-11000-ED -- $300.00
Note: This product cannot be directly ordered using shop.aph.org. Click the "Additional Product Information" link below for instructions on how to order with Quota funds or non-Quota funds.
Ordering: Ex Officio Trustees can submit a signed Quota order to APH by fax or mail. The order can be for one or more JAWS/MAGic Student Edition one-year subscriptions. Please provide APH with a contact person's email address and telephone number on your Federal Quota order. Note: JAWS/MAGic cannot be ordered directly via shop.aph.org.
Receiving: APH will then email you a Serial Number and Authorization Code for each JAWS/MAGic Student subscription that you order. You will also receive a hard copy confirmation of each Serial Number and Authorization Code printed on the invoice that APH mails to you.
Distribution: EOTs are responsible for distributing the Serial Numbers and Authorization Codes to those teachers or others in their states who have ordered JAWS/MAGic Student subscriptions on Quota. Note: JAWS Student licenses may be purchased any time during the year and multiple licenses may be purchased on a single Quota order. You will receive the Serial Number(s) and Authorization Code(s) very shortly after placing your order, but you may choose to hold these and activate them at a later date. The 12-month period for each subscription does not begin until the date of activation.
Renewals: EOTs are responsible for ordering annual renewals when needed by each student. A countdown built into the software lets the user know the days remaining in the annual subscription.
How to Install: The email you receive will also contain links to the Freedom Scientific website. These links allow you to download JAWS, MAGic, or both for each student. For more information on installation and support please see http://tech.aph.org/jfw/
Purchasing from APH Using Non-Quota Funds: You may purchase JAWS/MAGic Student Edition subscriptions using non-Quota funds, as long as the student is working at a 12th grade level or under. For example, you may purchase by calling APH and using a credit card.
Installation and Licensing Terms, Student Edition
- 12-month period begins from the date of the first device authorization
- Subscription includes three authorizations and resets on request
- A countdown in the software lets the user know the DAYS remaining in the annual subscription. A future update to JAWS Student will let the user know which YEAR of a subscription is installed (i.e., Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, etc.)
- New serial number will be issued for each yearly subscription and each serial number will have a one-year life from the date the first key is installed on a device. Three keys will be available to each student so they can install software on computers at school and home.
- Subscriptions are registered in the student’s name each year, and the subscription travels with the student if he or she changes schools
- After four years of annual subscriptions registered to the student:
- Full Home Edition License will be issued free of charge to student
- No cost to school or parent for the Home Edition
- Technical support directly from Freedom Scientific included
- Service Maintenance Agreement (SMA) included to cover the student for the remainder of their K-12 education
- Note: The four years of subscriptions do not need to be contiguous for the student to qualify for the Home Edition License
After the Student Graduates from Grade 12
- Student can contact Freedom Scientific to enter the SMA program for their existing Home Edition license
- Current cost for the Home Edition SMA is $120 for two years
- If a student is in the latter part of his or her elementary school work, he or she may continue to purchase JAWS Student subscriptions even after graduating from grade 12, as long as the subscription is started while the student is working at grade 12 or under.
- Example of Transitioning a Subscription After Grade 12: The first year of a JAWS and MAGic Student subscription is purchased for a student in grade 12 for $300 (the first year can be purchased either using Quota funds or non-Quota funds). When the student graduates from high school, the second year of the four-year subscription may be purchased for the student for $300, but ONLY with non-Quota funds. In this example, a college-bound student would use non-Quota funds to purchase the second year for $300 as a college freshman, the third year for $300 as sophomore, and the fourth year for $300 as a junior. As a college senior, he or she can then opt to transition to JAWS and MAGic Home Edition SMA for $120 for two years.
Note: the Home Edition SMA beyond the student’s K-12 years is not available with Federal Quota funds