CVI Book Builder Kit
Children diagnosed with CVI frequently have difficulty in understanding objects, pictures, and letters presented against a complex background. CVI Book Builder provides materials for parents and teachers to build books specifically for their reader. The kit provides a variety of black pages and black binders to use as low complexity backgrounds against which to present familiar items, photos, and letters/words.
- Builds a connection between an actual object and a photo of that object, teaching that photos (symbols) have meaning.
- Takes advantage of natural learning opportunities; i.e. at toothbrushing times, present the child's toothbrush and describe it while letting them explore, and then proceed with brushing his teeth. Attach the toothbrush to a black needlepoint canvas page, present it next to the photo on a polyblend page.
- Once the child demonstrates understanding of the photos in the book, you can begin to expand learning by exploring size, direction, colors, and other developmental concepts.
- When understanding that symbols/pictures have meaning, they may be ready to explore letters/words.
- Additional book ideas are listed in the guidebook.
- 3 Small, black binders
- 1 Large, Black binder
- 8 Black fabric pages for hook and loop attachments
- 8 Black magnetic pages
- 16 Black polyblend pages
- 10 page protectors
- Magnetic strips, adhesive-backed
- Regular profile black hook and loop adhesive-backed coin sets
- Braillable clear plastic label material
- 50 Plastic banding ties
- Guidebook, Large Print
To read more about the unique visual behaviors associated with CVI: tech.aph.org/cv