This portable electronic travel device is ideal for use by blind and deafblind persons.
The Miniguide US is a tiny, handheld electronic travel device that can enhance the effectiveness of a blind person's primary travel method. It uses ultrasound to detect objects, and gives tactual or auditory feedback by vibrating or chirping more rapidly as you approach an object.
When used with a cane or dog guide, the Miniguide US can help a blind person avoid obstacles and overhangs; locate landmarks; locate items such as mailboxes or trash cans; and find paths through crowds at ranges from 20 inches to 26 feet.
The optional Remote Unit is used in an instructional setting so that instructors can receive the same tactual feedback as their students.
- Tactile feedback: the closer the object, the faster the vibration
- Auditory feedback when used with headphone (NOT included): the closer the object, the faster the chirp
- Useful for: persons who are visually impaired; and hard of hearing or deafblind
- Five default ranges: 8 meters, 4 meters, 2 meters, 1 meters, and 1/2 meter
- Two large button controls: front button turns unit on, off, and selects the range, back button selects gap-finding mode
- User-friendly: advanced settings do not show up unless specifically turned on
- Advanced settings: can select range presets, change type of auditory feedback, and manage the optional Remote Unit
- Case: durable plastic
- Small size: 3 x 1 x 1 1/2 inches
- Miniguide US unit
- AAA battery (user-replaceable)
- 123 Lithium, 3-Volt Battery (user-replaceable)
- Quick Start reference sheets in print and braille
WARNING: The Miniguide US should be used along with a human guide, dog guide, or cane because it does not detect drop-offs and does not provide sufficient information to ensure safety.