APH SMART Brailler by Perkins
The base unit of the APF SMART Brailler is the Perkins/APH Brailler, which was designed to be quieter, lighter, and more comfortable for the user. This mechanical SMART Brailler includes a built-in screen and speaker to provide immediate visual and audio feedback to those learning braille. Feedback is available via text-to-speech and a screen that displays SimBraille and large print of what is brailled in uncontracted or contracted braille. This feedback also provides access to someone who does not know braille.
The APH SMART Brailler user manual is available as an accessible, free download at http://www.aph.org/manuals/index.html
- Age Range:
- 3 and Up
Only the APH version of the SMART Brailler comes with Building on Patterns: Kindergarten supplementary exercises.
The SMART Brailler was developed by Perkins Products and Product Development Technologies (PDT) in partnership with the American Printing House for the Blind. Acapela Text to Speech and voices used in the brailler are provided by Acapela Group, and contracted braille translation is provided by Duxbury Systems.
SMART Braillers Now Include Major Software and Design Updates!
As of September 5, 2017, APH began shipping SMART Braillers with the following:
- Unified English Braille (UEB) now available in the Language Settings
- Increased strength and durability of plastic exterior
- Easier paper loading and decreased paper jamming
Directions to Change the Braille Code Used for Translation to UEB for SMART Braillers with the latest software installed:
- Turn power switch on the right side of the machine to the ON position.
- Wait approximately 35 seconds until the “Welcome” menu shows on the screen.
- Go to the “Main Menu” screen by pressing the menu button twice. (Note: The menu button is the circular green button with a raised dot in the center, located on the right side of the brailler’s screen. Press it once, wait a second for the “braille entry” screen, and then press it again.)
- Scroll down to “Settings” and press the select button (the green diamond-shaped button to the right of the screen)
- Scroll down to “Language” and press the select button.
- Scroll down to “English-U.E.B.” and press the select button.
- The brailler will prompt you to press the select button again and then to reboot.
UEB will be the braille code used for translation when the brailler powers back up.
To Update the Software on SMART Braillers Shipped Prior to September 5, 2017:
Download the instructions and latest free software to update your SMART Brailler. Please note the following:
- The download link above will take you to a www.perkins.org webpage.
- The software update zip folder is large (over 600 MB) and may take several minutes to download.
- You will need a blank USB drive to perform the update.