Building on Patterns: Primary Braille Literacy Program: Kindergarten Student Kit - UEB
Building on Patterns (BOP) is a complete primary literacy program designed to teach beginning braille users all language arts -- reading, writing, and spelling. Student Textbooks are UEB-compliant.
NEW! Handy Overview of Building on Patterns: Visit our new Building on Patterns overview pages to quickly find BOP Themes, Features, & Samples; Teaching Components (including Scope and Sequence charts); Ordering Information; Teacher Resources; and more! http://www.aph.org/building-on-patterns/
The Building on Patterns series addresses phonemic awareness (ability to hear and interpret sounds in speech), phonics (the association of written symbols with the sounds they represent), comprehension, fluency, and oral vocabulary, all of which have been identified as important for reading instruction. BOP also addresses specific skill areas needed by the child who is blind, such as language development, sound discrimination, tactual discrimination, and concept development. Braille contractions are introduced from the beginning along with sound and letter associations.
Kindergarten lessons include a selection to be read to the student, questions to discuss, and an activity for the child to complete. Textbooks are consumable.
Note: Each student kit includes Student Textbooks (set of 7), Color Me Book, Posttest Consumables Pack, and Assessment Check-up Forms Pack. Note:Teacher's Editions Sold Separately.
IMPORTANT: Download the free UEB Teacher supplement here BOP Kindergarten UEB Teacher Supplement and use the information in the supplement to mark up your Teacher's Editions.
RELATED READING LIST: Scroll to the bottom of this page.
- Age Range:
- 4 and Up
Features of Building on Patterns
- Groups of contractions are taught together when logical to do so.
- Easily confused letters and words are introduced at different times.
- Ideas for incorporating technology are given.
- Lessons are flexible and can be adapted to fit a given student or students.
- Enrichment activities are suggested for additional practice or homework.
- Read-aloud books to go along with the lesson are suggested.
- Punctuation is eliminated except for the capital at the kindergarten level and is introduced gradually thereafter.
Note: These links will navigate you away from the APH shopping site.