Moving Ahead: Turtle and the Rabbit, Print-Braille Book with Large Print Reader's Guide
Moving Ahead: Tactile Graphic Storybooks are designed to be the next step for preschool and kindergarten students who have had some experience with simple tactile representations, such as those in APH's On the Way to Literacy series.
While On the Way to Literacy storybooks use real objects, molded images, and simple raised outlines, Moving Ahead storybooks introduce symbolic representation, more complex illustrations, and an increased emphasis on text by combining tactile pictures, print/braille text, and a fun story. Each read-aloud book invites the child to have fun while listening to the story and exploring its tactile pictures and print-braille text.
With Moving Ahead, students will:
- Explore tactile illustrations with varying levels of detail
- Track varying types of lines and intersecting lines
- Encounter tactile symbols, simple keys, and maps
- Discover braille words embedded in the graphics and locate the same word in the text
- Increase comprehension by using the fold-out map/storyboard to retell the story and create their own tactile displays
Each storybook includes a Large Print Reader’s Guide (braille edition sold separately) that contains general information, tips on using the storybook, and additional resources. Also included are braille words on customer-applied labels, allowing the reader to choose contracted or uncontracted braille.
- Grade Level:
- P to 2