Quick Check: Index of Literary Braille Signs
A handy reference for anyone learning, teaching, or transcribing braille.
APH’s previous Braille Contraction Sheets have been revised and renamed Quick Check. This reference booklet includes the 2002 and 2007 updates to the American, English Braille Code approved by the Braille Authority of North America (BANA). In addition, this publication has been re-designed to be more accessible to beginning braille readers and to individuals with low vision.
This booklet contains the most commonly used literary braille contractions, such as whole words, lower-cell signs, short-form words, composition signs, punctuation marks, etc.
- New signs for the &, @, Ó , #, Ò , /, and Ô
- Multiple ways to find contractions via the alphabetical or categorical lists
- Specific sections on print symbols and diacritical marks
- A simple explanation of contracted braille
- Enhanced readability (larger fonts, bold simbraille, and contrasting colors)
- Enhanced tactile usability (guide words, guide dots, and full cell of braille as spatial reference for lower-cell signs)